Finance Support Officer
For: Finance Support Officer - 3 months - Cambridge - Temporary - £10.23 ph
Meyer Scott Ref: VR/07259
This position is working for Cambridge City Council and is based in Cambridge which is easily accessible by public transport. The City Council are responsible for Council Tax, Planning, Housing, Bins, Rubbish and recycling.
To assist in the provision of an efficient, effective and client orientated financial service in
accordance with relevant guidelines, policies and procedures and financial standing
The role will have a specific responsibility for providing of a comprehensive financial
service supporting the shared housing finance service, effectively working with staff, cost
centre managers, senior managers, external organisations (suppliers / auditors, etc) and
Receivables and Payables
- Receivables - Calculation and preparation of invoice requisitions in respect of non-standard or complex housing debts.
- Housing: Raise invoice requests equivalent in respect of sums due for payment in the housing rents system, investigating and allocating income received appropriately
- Housing: Verify data included in write off requests from the housing system, passing those that comply with procedures for authorisation, and subsequent to receiving authorisation, write off in the system
- Ensure correct coding of income and expenditure, processing journals and recharges in the general ledger where required
- Produce reports, using the General Ledger reporting tool, for use by the post holder and others
- Verification of General Ledger input and collation of data in agreed format for use by others
Cash Management and Banking
- Preparing income summaries / cashbooks to facilitate recording of income in the General Ledger, importing and allocating cash, and reconciling takings
Data Entry and Export
- Regular, accurate input or import of financial data and payment information into the relevant corporate or business system
- Regular, accurate export of financial data (and associated administration) from the relevant business system to facilitate reconciliations and interfaces with other internal and external systems
- Financial input into, and reconciliation of databases and spreadsheets
Cost Centre Manager Support
- To provide support to housing cost centre managers in relation to payment of their invoices, coding expenditure to appropriate expenditure codes, in accordance with accounting rule and regulations
- Contribute to the year-end process in respect of assigned cost centres to ensure that functions are completed to the agreed deadlines.
- Applying budgetary and audit controls and procedures
- Monitor income and expenditure
- Statistical Analysis and Reconciliations
- To undertake regular reconciliations between FMS / bank / business systems to confirm the accuracy of monies banked and data recorded in departmental business systems and the main accounting system and subsequent management reports
- Provide statistical, graphical and financial information and reports, including performance indicators
- Responsibility for the financial administration in relation to housing activity, i.e. the granting of legal access licences, access scheme, tenants' contents insurance, etc.
- Carry out any other duties as required by your line manager from time to time in accordance with the grading of the post.
Hours - 30 hours week, these can be worked over 4 or 5 days by agreement.